[asterisk-users] Registrations stops after 403 FORBIDDEN

Jonas Kellens jonas.kellens at telenet.be
Mon Apr 18 04:54:20 CDT 2011

Hello list,

I have in sip.conf :

/maxexpiry=60                 ; Maximum allowed time of incoming
registrations
                                 ; and subscriptions (seconds)
minexpiry=60                   ; Minimum length of
registrations/subscriptions (default 60)
defaultexpiry=120              ; Default length of incoming/outgoing
registration

;----------------------------------------- OUTBOUND SIP REGISTRATIONS
------------------------
registertimeout=240             ; retry registration calls every 20
seconds (default)
;registerattempts=0            ; Number of registration attempts before
we give up
                                 ; 0 = continue forever, hammering the
other server
                                 ; until it accepts the registration
                                 ; Default is 0 tries, continue forever/

When I register to my SIP provider and this provider sends a 403
FORBIDDEN as SIP response, then Asterisk stops registering.

I thought that with "registerattempts=0" Asterisk will keep on sending a
REGISTER untill the other ends accepts it ?

To be clear, my SIP provider sometimes rejects a registration but that's
a bug in their system at the moment. So I need Asterisk to try multiple
times until the providers's system accepts it. It happens often and at
the moment I notice too late that the number is not registered to my SIP
provider. While if Asterisk keeps on trying, the registration will
finally come through again.

So are my settings wrong ?

Kind regards,
Jonas.