[asterisk-users] Asterisk as a Condo door opener/intercom

Andreas Sikkema h323 at ramdyne.nl
Wed Apr 13 13:34:06 CDT 2011

On 4/12/11 1:21 AM, Don Kelly wrote:
> Continuing top posting...
>
> The same argument could be made for any commercial solution. Why use
> Asterisk when we could throw $4,000 at our problem for a commercial
> solution?
>
> I'd like to have a solution that would have the features you suggest for
> $400.

What part of the system isn't working? The "route calls to the
appartment" part? That could be replaced by Asterisk with enough
(analogue?) ports to serve the front door and appartments using existing
wiring.

If the door part also needs replacing because it is proprietary to the
old system, you could use a SIP dooropener/intercom, but these are
generally expensive, starting around EUR800/$800? or so and probably
need an expension for apartment buttons. And you'd need to run new
wiring to the door and perhaps change the lock.

And then there's the apartments, it could get *very* expensive when you
need to replace wiring and the "phones" in each apartment to something
VoIP like.

--
Andreas Sikkema