[asterisk-users] Problems With DAHDI on Ubuntu

Shaun Ruffell sruffell at digium.com
Wed Apr 13 09:35:52 CDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 09:48:47AM -0400, Shawn L wrote:
> I have 2 separate Asterisk servers that are both exibiting this
> problem.  1 has a 4 port FXO digium card, the other an 8 port.
>
> For some reason when the machine reboots, the dahdi drivers are not
> properly loaded.  Then asterisk ends up starting without dahdi
> support.  I've tried everything that I can think of, even to the point
> of running dahdi_cfg in the asterisk startup script before asterisk
> itself is started, but it doesn't help.
>
> To fix it, all i have to do is login and run
> dahdi_cfg
> /etc/init.d/asterisk restart
>
> but that's a pain to have to do after every reboot.  I've never had
> this problem with asterisk systems in the past, but now it's happening
> on the last 2 servers we've setup.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I
> can't understand why explicitly calling  dahdi_cfg or the
> dahdi_startup script before starting asterisk isn't working.

Is there any output from either /etc/init.d/dahdi start or dmesg when
this happens?

Normally the process is this (just in case this helps highlight
something that might not be standard on your system):

1) The system boots up, udev runs and *does not* load any drivers
because all the drivers have been blacklisted in
/etc/modprobe.d/dahdi.blacklist.conf

2) The init scripts are run (distribution specific how you set there,
chkconfig/update-rc.d/etc...) and /etc/init.d/dahdi looks in
/etc/dahdi/modules to determine which board specific modules are loaded.

3) After all the modules are loaded /etc/init.d/dahdi runs dahdi_cfg to
parse /etc/dahdi/system.conf and configure the spans and channels
appropriately.

In your email you say that the drivers are not properly loaded but to
fix it neither "dahdi_cfg" or "/etc/init.d/asterisk restart" actually
loads the drivers.

Cheers,
Shaun

--