[asterisk-users] Iptables configuration to handle brute force registrations?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Apr 6 03:46:12 CDT 2011

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011, Steve Edwards wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Apr 2011, Gilles wrote:
>
>> 	I'm no expert of iptables, and it seems like it can handle banning
>> IP's that are trying to register and fail too many times.
>
>> Is there a good iptables configuration that I could use as reference?
>
> Gordon Henderson posted a link to his script that handled failures above a
> threshold and some other cool stuff a few months back.
>
> Try searching the archives.

Have a look at these:

http://unicorn.drogon.net/firewall

That's a very basic iptables firewall script. You can not run this as-is,
you will need to chang it.

This:

   http://unicorn.drogon.net/firewall2

is a bit more complicated. It includes some more stateful rules to check
and automatically slow-down bulk connections. It's not perfect, but it
could be used as a starting point for your own thing. A word of warning
though - it's not suitable for light-weight/embedded devices. These rules
can result in significant kernel processing.

You may also wish to look at this:

   http://blog.elphel.com/2011/03/hardening-the-asterisk-based-phone-system

It's a blog post by Andrey Filippov based on some of my work and some of
his own. It's all good stuff.

Gordon