[asterisk-users] minmessage / maxsilence in voicemail.conf

Hose hose+asterisk at bluemaggottowel.com
Tue Apr 5 15:39:49 CDT 2011

So I get this warning:

app_voicemail.c:11084 load_config: maxsilence should be less than
minmessage or you may get empty messages

Can anyone explain that a little better?  When would I end up getting
empty messages if say minmessage was set to 3 seconds and maxsilence is
set to 10?  10 seconds of silence would be more acceptable to me than
setting maxsilence to 2 seconds and having an undue pause in the left vm
causing a hangup, or setting maxsilence to 0 seconds and having a
situation where the PRI or whatever gets wedged, and the voicemail just
keeps recording for... a long time.

hose