[asterisk-users] Iptables configuration to handle brute, force registrations?

Sherwood McGowan sherwood.mcgowan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 14:19:22 CDT 2011

On 4/5/2011 2:11 PM, Steve Edwards wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2011, Sherwood McGowan wrote:
>
>> Why run fail2ban and add overhead when you can just do the same thing
>> with iptables itself?
>
> Because it's not the same?
>
> The iptables approach is great because it is 'light-weight' and it
> should already 'be there.' Also, it can react quicker because it
> doesn't have to read log files to make a decision.
>
> The 'downside' of the iptables approach is that the blocks go away
> when iptables is reloaded -- like when the host is restarted.
>
> Probably not an issue with Gordon since his hosts stay up for years.
>
> I'm thinking the iptables approach supplemented with a script to
> periodically save the block list to disk would allow persistent blocks
> as well as letting you accumulating blocks between all your hosts.
>
> Which would still be much 'lighter' than fail2ban.

Agreed on all points Steve. I've already implemented an auto save
function, to workaround the drawback you mentioned.

Are there possibly other drawbacks that I'm not seeing/remembering? I've
been running an iptables based setup for some time, never really jumped
into the fail2ban wagon

--
Sherwood McGowan <sherwood.mcgowan at gmail.com>
Carrier, ITSP, Call Center, and PBX Solutions Consultant