[asterisk-users] Android tablet voip?

jon pounder jonp at inline.net
Fri Apr 1 10:21:42 CDT 2011

On 04/01/2011 11:00 AM, Dean Collins wrote:

> Anyone on the list using and Android tablet with a voip service as
> their primary phone device? Either with wired or Bluetooth headset?
>
> What are you using hardware/software.
>
> What are your thoughts?

I use linphone.

Config :
- incoming ivr etc to get to extension
- incoming call rings sip extensions for me including android if it
happens to be registered.
- if no answer call goes back out pstn to cell number (no voicemail on cell)
- if no answer on cell, asterisk gives up and goes to its own voicemail

issues :
- linphone is the only sip client I found that actually reliably worked
and was able to register, pass audio, dial and so on. (its not the most
glitzy client though)
- linphone can be set to only register on wifi - this is fine but it
stupidly still advertises its intent to handle calls when its not
registered, so when you dial generically you get a popup asking whether
to use dialer or linphone to place the call (that's just bad programming).
- due to the way sip works and the speed things happen, the phone can
still be ringing the sip call when the cell call comes in and there is a
moment when its hard to answer the right thing since both are ringing
but the first caller is already gone.

overall works adequately, I am able to use it like a sip cordless phone
when around wifi, and transparently as a cell when not.
the fact its a 2 stage ring to the same device when in wifi range makes
it more confusing than if both had separate numbers completely.

I also have an apad wall mounted running linphone among other stuff, and
it functions well as my doorphone - linphone rings and pops to the
foreground when a door call comes in. its also running on wifi but its
sort of a fixed application, not what I would really consider a phone.