[asterisk-users] DAHDI FXO port only recognizes the "S" extension‏

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Wed Sep 29 12:20:22 CDT 2010

On Wednesday 29 Sep 2010, Songtao Yu wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> When I tried to write my dial plan as below for my FXO port, which connects
> one PSTN line:
>
> [from-pstn]
> exten =>s,1,Answer()
> exten =>s,n,Wait(1)
> exten =>_X.,1,Dial(DAHDI/1)
> exten =>_X.,n,Hangup
>
> I got the following message:
> Connected to Asterisk 1.6.2.13 currently running on fax (pid = 8154)
> Verbosity was 0 and is now 4
>     -- Starting simple switch on 'DAHDI/1-1'
>     -- Executing [s at from-pstn:1] Answer("DAHDI/1-1", "") in new stack
>     -- Executing [s at from-pstn:2] Wait("DAHDI/1-1", "1") in new stack
>     -- Auto fallthrough, channel 'DAHDI/1-1' status is 'UNKNOWN'
>     -- Hungup 'DAHDI/1-1'
>
> But if I changed the "_X." to "S" extension, I can get the whole thing to
> work well: [from-pstn]
> exten =>s,1,Answer()
> exten =>s,n,Wait(1)
> exten =>s,n,Dial(DAHDI/3)
> exten =>s,n,Hangup
>
> Would you please let me which casuses this issue?

Extensions represent different numbers dialled by the calling party.

An FXO port has only *one* number associated with it -- the number of the POTS
line to which it is connected.  It does not, therefore, have to be able to
differentiate between extensions.  Incoming calls just go straight to the "s"
extension of the context associated with the channel.

If for some reason you have more than one FXO port  (ordinarily, you would get
multiple lines by means of ISDN),  then just bring each one in on a separate
context.

--
AJS