[asterisk-users] TELUS British Columbia PRI Settings

Jeremy.Hellstrom at synovate.com Jeremy.Hellstrom at synovate.com
Tue Sep 28 11:23:16 CDT 2010

I'd just like to thank everyone that helped me get this running.  I thought I had a FAS PRI but it turns out it was NFAS so there was no dchannel on the second PRI.  When getting the 2nd PRI changed, I received an email containing the cheat sheet TELUS employees use which I thought I should share, though quite a few settings will be obvious to Asterisk gurus.

The TELUS cheat sheet

Asterisk PRI provisioning
=========================

T1 span timing is provisioned in /etc/zaptel.conf or /etc/dahdi/system.conf

For syntax see [system.conf.sample](http://svn.digium.com/svn/dahdi/tools/trunk/system.conf.sample)

### Defining a span as esf/b8zs
    span=1,0,0,esf,b8zs

### Defining a span as sf/ami
    span=1,0,0,d4,ami

PRI B/D channels are provisioned in /etc/zaptel.conf or /etc/dahdi/system.conf

For syntax see [system.conf.sample](http://svn.digium.com/svn/dahdi/tools/trunk/system.conf.sample)

    bchan=1-23
    dchan=24

PRI interface options are provisioned in /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf or /etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf

For syntax see [chan_dahdi.conf.sample](http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/trunk/configs/chan_dahdi.conf.sample)

     [channels]
        ;--- PRI interface options
        ; Switchtype:  Only used for PRI.
        ;
        ; national:    National ISDN 2 (default)
        ; dms100:      Nortel DMS100
        ; 4ess:        AT&T 4ESS
        ; 5ess:        Lucent 5ESS
        ; euroisdn:    EuroISDN (common in Europe)
        ; ni1:         Old National ISDN 1
        ; qsig:        Q.SIG

        switchtype=national
        context=incoming-from-dahdi ; defined in extensions.conf
        signalling=pri_cpe ; should be pri-cpe for customer side

### Defining channel groups for selection

Once you've defined groups in chan_dahdi.conf.sample they can be referenced in extensions.conf

     [channels]
        ;--- PRI interface options
        . . .
        group=1 ; reference for hunting method in extensions.conf
        channel=>1-23 ; follows b-channel provisioning

### TON / NPI
For syntax see [chan_dahdi.conf.sample](http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/trunk/configs/chan_dahdi.conf.sample)
        ; unknown:        Unknown
        ; private:        Private ISDN
        ; national:       National ISDN
        ; international:  International ISDN
        ; dynamic:        Dynamically selects the appropriate dialplan
        ; redundant:      Same as dynamic, except that the underlying number is not
        ;                 changed (not common)

#### pridialplan
For syntax see [chan_dahdi.conf.sample](http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/trunk/configs/chan_dahdi.conf.sample)

* "national" : Interpret the digits as a national number.
* "international" : A fully formed E.164 phone number.

    [channels]
        . . .
        ; PRI Dialplan: The ISDN-level Type Of Number (TON) or numbering plan, used for
        ; the dialed number.  For most installations, leaving this as 'unknown' (the
        ; default) works in the most cases.  In some very unusual circumstances, you
        ; may need to set this to 'dynamic' or 'redundant'.  Note that if you set one
        ; of the others, you will be unable to dial another class of numbers.  For
        ; example, if you set 'national', you will be unable to dial local or
        ; international numbers.
        pridialplan=unknown ; Asterisk default

#### prilocaldialplan

For syntax see [chan_dahdi.conf.sample](http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/trunk/configs/chan_dahdi.conf.sample)

* "national" : Interpret the digits as a national number.
* "international" : A fully formed E.164 phone number.

        ; PRI Local Dialplan:  Only RARELY used for PRI (sets the calling number's
        ; numbering plan).  In North America, the typical use is sending the 10 digit
        ; callerID number and setting the prilocaldialplan to 'national' (the default).
        prilocaldialplan=national ; Asterisk default

Hunting (selection of a specific trunk)
---------------------------------------

### Invoking hunting in Asterisk dialplans

For syntax see [extensions.config.sample](http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/trunk/configs/extensions.conf.sample)

    ; g: select the lowest-numbered non-busy DAHDI channel
    ;    (aka. ascending sequential hunt group).
    ; G: select the highest-numbered non-busy DAHDI channel
    ;    (aka. descending sequential hunt group).

    exten => 1,1,Dial(DAHDI/g1/8675309) ; ascending sequential hunt group (LIDL towards provider)
    exten => 2,1,Dial(DAHDI/G1/8675309) ; descending sequential hunt group (MIDL towards provider)

    ; deprecated zaptel example
    ; exten => 1,1,Dial(ZAP/g1/8675309)
    ; exten => 2,1,Dial(ZAP/G1/8675309)