[asterisk-users] Record() Cmd and My SQL

Don Kelly dk at donkelly.biz
Fri Sep 24 12:32:34 CDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of David
Backeberg
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2010 11:28 AM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Record() Cmd and My SQL

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:23 PM, Govind, Mahesh (NSN - IN/Bangalore)
<mahesh.govind at nsn.com> wrote:
> The reason is when doing a load balancing  , We  cannot confine the
> recording to a particular asterisk machine ( If we have more than one
> asterisk machine in the topology ).

Yes you can. You can record the file wherever the call takes place. In
fact, you can make the recording on any network segment the packet
traverses as well.

> So a centralized mechanism might be better . So that any machine can
> access the recording .
> Regards
> Mahesh

Recordings are formatted data, typically stored as files. You can put
them into a database, but you haven't provided a reason why that would
be a good idea.

There are these things called shared filesystems. You should take a
look at them. They work well. Options include NFS, iscsi, sans, etc.

Or you can record the file in-place, and when the recording completes,
copy it off to your shared filesystem. That's what I do.

Or you can take a look at something like OrecX, which let's you do
network spanning on your entire subnet, and it doesn't matter where
your call takes place because all RTP streams get written to disk.

None of what you've explained would be a good reason to put your
recordings into a database. Don't do that.

Don sez: I don't know how to make Outlook indent. I usually top-post, but I
don't like getting yelled at.

Why do you say "Don't do that"? Is there a real reason that it would be bad?

I'd like to put the recordings in a database so they are available to
another application that has no other relationship to the Asterisk server.
The application uses the database to determine if the recording has been
listened to, by whom and if it needs additional attention.

  --Don