[asterisk-users] RDNIS not passed from one box to another with BRI access

Olivier oza_4h07 at yahoo.fr
Fri Sep 24 04:28:54 CDT 2010

Hi,

I've configured a new Asterisk 1.6.1 box to replace an old Bristuffed 1.2
Asterisk.
Since then, it happens that forwarded calls are not presented the way they
used to be.

It seems that now, some endpoints are displaying the original caller id
(that's what I'm trying to achive), while some are displaying the
redirecting number :
so if A calls B, B forwards to C
depending on where C is located, C will either display that the call is
coming from A or from B.
(in this case, A, B and C are phones, each connected to a different PBX)

So I dived into voip-info.org and reached the following conclusion :
If everything is correctly configured, the last PBX (the one to which phone
C is connected) should receive an incoming call with the following
properties set to
CALLERID(num) set to A's number
CALLERID(ANI) set to B's number
CALLERID(RDNIS) not set

An acceptable alternative would be:
CALLERID(num) set to B's number
CALLERID(ANI) set to B's number
CALLERID(RDNIS) set to A's number

I've got a lot of questions.

0. Is my understanding (see above) correct ?

1. In general, is the ability to send and receive RDNIS a feature telcos
bundle with BRI access or is this feature an option or dedicated to PRI ?

2. Is the setting of RDNIS a task for Dial application or this configurable
from within the dialplan ?
This comes from this extract from http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/RDNIS :
"Asterisk only supports RGN, and at that, it's wrongly placed in the
channel's Caller*ID information. The RGN can be set or retrieved using the
CALLERID <http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+func+callerid>(rdnis)
function, such as Set(CALLERID(rdnis)=5551212). The Dial application also
sets the RGN to the current extension, unless called within a macro, in
which case the contents of ${MACRO_EXTEN} are used instead. This overwrites
anything else set within the dialplan, which may not be what a dialplan
author would expect. Although IAX2
<http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/IAX2>supports RGN in IE 27
(actually misnamed RDNIS), it does not appear to be
properly passed to a peer when placing outgoing calls. "

3. Is there options in chan_dahdi.conf (or elsewhere) that trigger on or off
this RDNIS capability ?

Cheers