[asterisk-users] Asterisk and Digium TC400B

Bryant Zimmerman BryantZ at zktech.com
Thu Sep 23 12:10:56 CDT 2010

On 09/23/2010 06:48 AM, Tarek Sawah wrote:
> Greetings,
> Because of the heavy load and the high expectations of an asterisk
server
> offered as a solution integrated with our CRM software.. we were looking
> into other possibilities than software Licenses for G729 and G723
codecs..
> to lower the pressure on the processor giving it more space to do more
work.
> We heard of a hardware (PCI CARDS) can be used with Asterisk that does
the
> work. And we stumbled with Digium TC400B.
> Could be a newbie's question.. but does that serve our needs? As we have
not
> pressured a server before up to 1400 extensions with 600 outbound SIP
calls
> (customer's needs).
> The server in question is Core I7 16 GB ram and Raid 10 SAS drives.
> We need to know how many calls with G729 or G723 can this server handle?
And
> as far as we can see this Digium card can be a cheaper solution If
> calculating the CPU cost plus the licenses for each channel.
> One more question.. can we add two of those cards to the server? Will it
be
> efficient?

Hi Tarek,
I have TC400B cards installed and they work fine. You get up to 120
channels per card.
You can install multiple cards and they work good.
The new sangoma G729 cards have the ability to do up to 2400 channels per
card depending on the configuration purchased.
The sangoma option is really good option once you get the 120 channel
level.

The real question is how many channels do you need to transcode. In certian
combinations asterisk can eat g729 channels. Let's say you are coming g729
and recording and then going back out g729 you may eat up to 4
encode/decode license. For some calls if your end points are g729 and your
carrier is g729 you many not need any license. It comes down to how many of
your calls will need access to non g729 prompts and how many calls will
need to be converted due to differing source formats. If you can convert
your ivr prompts to g729 you get a win here. But playing voicemail files
will never use g729 as it is not currently a supported record format as far
as I have found

My guss is one of the sangoma 400 license cards would likely meet your
needs That will range between $2200 and $2300
A single sangoma 240 license card is between $1550 and $1650
The digium TC400B selles for beteen $1025 and $1200.00

If you want more details you can contact me off list.

Bryant