[asterisk-users] Asterisk T38

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Sep 22 09:22:26 CDT 2010

On 09/22/2010 09:00 AM, Adam Moffett wrote:
> In the simplest terms I can think of, I'm going to describe what I want
> to do and I want to know if it's possible in the current version of
> asterisk.
>
> Can I take a T38 call from an ATA, convert that back to analog and have
> asterisk screech that out on a POTS line to a remote fax machine.  Would
> it work?
>
> And could I receive an incoming fax the same way?

This is called T.38 gateway mode, and it's not available in any Asterisk
releases yet. This has been discussed quite often on this mailing list,
though, so a Google search of the list archives would give you pointers
to the methods you can use today to achieve this.

Asterisk 1.8 was just enhanced to provide some new APIs that will be
necessary for seamless implementation of T.38 gateway mode, and we
expect that work on that will occur in the very near future.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com