[asterisk-users] conf checkout

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Tue Sep 14 14:28:10 CDT 2010

Hi gang,

             I see that some posters today don't do full (or any?) backups
of their Asterisk systems/configuration.  This may (sort of) help you.
Since pretty much all Linux systems have some sort of PERL installed, these
two files will let you make a quick copy of any configuration or other file
you might be about to change or destroy.

File 1 - /usr/bin/checkout

/usr/local/bin/perl /etc/asterisk/checkout.pl $1

File 2 - /etc/asterisk/checkout.pl

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

# Author: Danny Nicholas

use File::Copy;

# assign command line parms

my $inname = $ARGV[0];

my ($sec, $min, $hr, $day, $mon, $year) = localtime(time);

$mon = $mon +1;

$mon = sprintf("%2d",$mon);

$day = sprintf("%2d",$day);

$hr = sprintf("%2d",$hr);

$min = sprintf("%2d",$min);

$mon =~ s/\s/0/;

$day =~ s/\s/0/;

$hr =~ s/\s/0/;

$min =~ s/\s/0/;

my $outname = $inname."_".$mon.$day."_".$hr.$min;

print "copy $inname to $outname\n";

copy($inname,$outname);

exit

If you are going to make a dialplan change, just do

Checkout /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf and voila, you have a backup to fall
back on.

Hope this helps somebody.

Regards,

Danny Nicholas