[asterisk-users] How to send SMS to Gigaset phones ?

Olivier oza_4h07 at yahoo.fr
Mon Sep 13 09:38:34 CDT 2010

2010/9/13 Gordon Henderson
<gordon+asterisk at drogon.net<gordon%2Basterisk at drogon.net>

> On Mon, 13 Sep 2010, Olivier wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Searching this list archives, I couldn't find a definitive answer to my
> > question :
> > how to send SMS to Gigaset phones ?
> >
> > My goal is to send Alert SMS such as "This phone system will be stopped
> in
> > 5mn for maintenance" to every terminal (SIP phones and Gigaset DECT
> phones).
> > (So at the moment, I'm not looking for way to send SMS from handsets).
> >
> > I could successfully send 1 short text message to 1 SIP hardphones (using
> > sipsak) (I've not tried to send the same message to several phones and to
> > see I could erase old messages form phone's screen) but failed with
> > Gigasets.
> >
> > Which tool shall I use ? smsq ? sipsak ?
> > It this matters, I'm using 1.4.35.
>
> I think you're stuffed unless you use the analogue side of the Siemens
> gigaset base stations - I'm fairly sure they can only take SMS messages
> that way.
>
> I'd suggest that you really ought to be sending SIP messages using the
> SendText() command, however don't seem to respond to that anyway, and
> other phones seem to have different ideas about what to do with them too
> (to the extent that I abandoned it after some experiments - good idea if
> you can stick to one phone type, bad if you've got many)

Form changelogs, you can see:

Firmware Update 04/2009 Version V02184:
---------------------------------------
New features:

- E-mail viewer (with C47H, S45, S67H, S68H handsets)
- Mute function. Turn off the handset's microphone during an external
call with the left display key.
- Send and receive SMS messages via VoIP*
<snip>
* provider-dependent

The bad thing is the way to use this new SMS-VOIP handling capability is not
much documented.