[asterisk-users] Moving from DSL to T1

Sun Sep 12 17:32:11 CDT 2010

In terms of telephony, a T-1 can make a huge difference over DSL. DSL gives you a lot of raw bandwidth, true, but for voice that really doesn't matter all that much. Voice calls only take a relatively small amount of bandwidth anyway; you can fit dozens of concurrent calls into a DSL or T-1. When used strictly for telephony (non-VoIP), a T-1 is designed for 24 concurrent calls, each one takes up 56kbit. For VoIP use, most providers tell you that a phone call takes up about 80kbit/s.

What really matters is the latency, and T-1 is a huge improvement over DSL in that area. The easiest way to measure latency is the ping time to a server that is "close to you" Internet-wise. A DSL has latencies of between 40ms (if it's extremely good and not too many other people are using it) and 1000ms (if there is a problem somewhere). A good T-1 may have latencies as low as 5 ms or so. Also, with a T-1 the bandwidth is guaranteed and bidirectional. With a DSL line, you may get burstable bandwidth - you don't actually have that bandwidth, you just get to compete for excess bandwidth with your neighbors.

Latency also is the reason VoIP does not work at all over satellite connections even though they tend to have plenty of bandwidth.

To answer the OP's question: assuming that you will be using the T-1 for mixed VoIP and data (the most likely scenario in this case), a T-1 is really not much different from a DSL line. Both provide you with IP connectivity. Just make sure that QoS is set up correctly on your router and firewall to give priority to VoIP calls. If you are using VoIP and DSL concurrently and your router/firewall supports that configuration, you may also need to modify routing tables to make sure calls go in and out over the correct link.