[asterisk-users] Max TDM calls per asterisk box

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Wed Sep 8 19:29:15 CDT 2010

On Wed, 8 Sep 2010, Adolphe Cher-Aime wrote:

> Can you tell me how many concurrent TDM (Dahdi) calls that a single
> asterisk box can handle. Configuration is as follow :
>
> Quad core Xeon 3 GHZ, 4Gb RAM, asterisk 1.6.2.9

Every situation is different, but...

This box should be able to handle far more concurrent calls than you
should put on a single box.

Think of it this way:

A pair of less expensive* boxes will give you redundancy and
maintainability.

If you put all your eggs in one basket, what happens to your business when
it fails? What will your boss say?

How will you take the box out of service to upgrade software or install
patches if it is your only box?

If you are committed to the "one big box" philosophy, I would say 200 to
400 concurrent calls would not be inconceivable.

*) You should check out the prices on used servers off Ebay. I bought a
pair of used Supermicro boxes last year for $150 each including shipping.
My client was reluctant until I pointed out they cost less than the sales
tax on the Compaq/HP box he was thinking of.

--
Thanks in advance,