[asterisk-users] SOLVED: What can make G.729a codec hostid change?

Barry Miller asterisk-users at notanet.net
Tue Sep 7 18:32:55 CDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 03:32:35PM -0400, Barry Miller wrote:
> After upgrading my small test system from Debian Etch->Lenny via a
> complete reinstall, I find my g729 hostid has changed.  Same machine,
> same CPU, same NIC!  It doesn't seem reasonable that I have to burn
> my one "no-hassle" re-registration for a simple OS upgrade.
>
> The README only says that hostid is based on MAC addresses of all NICs,
> but that doesn't seem to be true.  Does anyone know anything else that
> might cause g729 to compute a different hostid?

G.729a is happy again.  I'm not sure how many people will be affected
by this, but here's what fixed it here:

Etch loads eth1394.ko, Lenny doesn't.  Why, I don't know.  But it caused
the eth0 PHY to become iface eth1.  To get things working again, I added
"alias eth0 eth1394" to modprobe.conf, and swapped eth0<->eth1 in
udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and network/interfaces.  If there's
a simpler way to do this, please let me know.

Now my original hostid is back.  Thanks, everybody.

--
Barry