[asterisk-users] What can make G.729a codec hostid change?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Sep 7 18:08:35 CDT 2010

  On 09/08/2010 03:23 AM, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2010, Tiago Geada wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't have any g729 codec license. But by reading Barry's complaint I get
>> to think that it is really unfair that Digium can't renew his license or
>> something.
>>
>> I am a Debian user myself and I understand the need to upgrade from etch to
>> lenny (and to squeeze in no time).
>> Having a kernel built on purpose to remove some modules is out of line.
>>
>> A better solution needs to be provided in cases like these.
> Buy licenses from Digium, get the software from Latvia...
>
> Gordon
If you do that your Latvian software is unlicenced. The patent licencing
terms for G.729 mean if you buy from someone (e.g. Digium) you are only
licenced to run the implementation (software or silicon) they provided.
If you want to licence some other code which is currently provided
without patent licencing, you need to contact the licencing pool, and
meet their conditions.

Steve