[asterisk-users] asterisk 1.6.2.11 freezes the server

George gy at syspro.hu
Thu Sep 2 13:53:09 CDT 2010

Hi,

I have a problem that the machine running asterisk 1.6.2.11 freezes
unexpectly time to time. Sometimes it runs for 4 weeks without any
problem, sometimes after a free it freezes again in 24 hours. But
usually it runs normally for 1 month or so before it freezes again.

I could not find any additional info in any file located in /var/log/
including asterisk's messages file. Verbosity was set to 1000 but
nothing can be found which would indicate explain/indicate the problem.

If we connect a keyboard and a monitor to the server we see that the
machine is completely frozen, no login is possible. No network services
of the server are reachable but the IP address of the server can be pinged.

Mandriva 2010.0 is installed on the machine with kernel version
2.6.31.13-server-1mnb.

First we experienced the problem with Mandriva 2010.0 + asterisk 1.6.2.5
+ kernel 2.6.31.13-desktop-1mnb on a desktop PC HW.

Then we changed this simple PC hardware to a Supermicro server because
we thought that it is a HW issue. We changed asterisk to 1.6.2.8 and
kernel version to 2.6.31.13-server-1mnb as well. But it did not solve
the problem. No wwe installed asterisk 1.6.2.11 but teh problem still
exists.

There are around 150 SIP devices connected to this server making max 4
simultaneous calls at the same time. Each SIP user has it's own context
(outgoing) and there is a common incoming context for the users.

We use Realtime:

sipusers => mysql,pbx,sip_buddies
sippeers => mysql,pbx,sip_buddies
voicemail => mysql,pbx,voicemail_users
extensions => mysql,pbx,extensions
meetme => mysql,pbx,meetme
phonenumbers => mysql,pbx,phonenumbers

We kept the old HW with the old asterisk environment for warm backup.
That one is running now for 76 days without any problem. But there is no
traffic on this backup server of course.

The active server freezes approx every month at least once.

Have you got an idea how we could catch why this asterisk installation
freezes time to time?

What I can see is that the 2G memory is eaten up quite quickly by asterisk.

Could you please advise.

Many thanks.

Regards, George