[asterisk-users] Fail2ban integration issues with Asterisk 1.4.21 under Debian Lenny

Nikhil Nair nnair at pobox.com
Wed Sep 1 04:11:51 CDT 2010

Hi guys,

Interesting discussion - I learnt quite a bit.  Thanks.

That said, no one's yet answered my two original questions.  Anyone know?
To repeat:

1.  When I used the line "dateformat=%F %T" in the general section of
logger.conf, the format in /var/log/asterisk/full did change, but the
round brackets around the date remained; the fail2ban/asterisk
instructions I was following indicated that they should disappear when I
do this.  Is this an asterisk version issue (I'm using 1.4.21 - would 1.6
behave in the way described?), a Debian issue (seems unlikely), or
something else?  Is there some other way to get the round brackets to
disappear?  This is necessary to get fail2ban to read that file;
otherwise, I'll have to log all asterisk NOTICEs through syslog.

2.  With alwaysauthreject=yes and using deny= and permit= in sip.conf,
attempts from denied IP addresses to register an extension are responded
to (denying them, obviously), but not logged as a NOTICE (or anything
else, as far as I can tell).  Is there a way to enable this logging - or,
alternatively, to get asterisk to simply ignore these requests rather than
responding?

I fully appreciate the frustration others feel re ending up paying for
other people's attacks as part of their download limit, or even maxing out
because of this.  I'm lucky in that I haven't reached that volume yet -
I'm with Zen Internet, and have a 50GB monthly limit, which I'm not using
anywhere near all of.  (that said, I did use 30GB last month, and suspect
that the lion's share of that was from attacks, SIP reg or otherwise; this
could certainly be an issue in the future.)

Instead, my issue was with maxing out my *upload* bandwidth limit
(currently only 448kbps), and hence having my whole connection screeching
to a halt, with massive packet loss to other applications.  At that point,
not even (a sane amount of) money helps, as you can't buy a higher upload
rate (aside from regrading to ADSL2+, which I'm looking into now).

Thanks in advance,

Nikhil.