[asterisk-users] Under heavy attack

Niles Ingalls niles at atheos.net
Sun Oct 31 14:45:27 CDT 2010

On Oct 30, 2010, at 2:28 PM, Zeeshan Zakaria wrote:

> My main asterisk server is under unusual heavy attack, and so far
> Fail2Ban has blocked about 30 IPs, from various different countries.
> At this time it is blocking about 1 IP address every few minutes.
>
> Just wondering if anybody else is also experiencing unusually
> increased hack attempts today?
>
> Zeeshan A Zakaria

It's been an extremely busy day for the exploiters.  I moved my phone
system from one circuit that I have (10Mb) to another that is behind a
firewall (100Mb) and the fail2ban alerts are all gone.
I'm not really concerned that someone will determine the passwords, as
I use the phones serial numbers to determine that.  But still, very
irritating to see so many attempts at exploiting my phone system.
fail2ban is nice, but I recommend you put your system behind a
firewall and only allow necessary connections.  pfsense is doing the
trick for me. - Niles