[asterisk-users] Auto provisioning from public server

Ishfaq Malik ish at pack-net.co.uk
Wed Oct 27 03:28:08 CDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 04:10 -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 4:04 AM, Ishfaq Malik <ish at pack-net.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>         On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 17:31 +0200, Jonas Kellens wrote:
>         > Hello,
>         >
>         > has anyone experience with auto provisioning IP-phones on
>         different
>         > locations through a central public provisioning server ? You
>         use http
>         > or https ?
>         >
>         > Is there a danger that one uses a different MAC-address in
>         the
>         > provisioning link to obtain SIP username / password
>         settings ?
>         >
>         >
>         > Kind regards,
>         > Jonas.
>
>         The company we use for provisioning snom phones delete the un
>         pass info
>         from the server once it has been picked up for the first time.
>         That way
>         no one else can access it by spoofing the MAC address
>

>         --
>         Ishfaq Malik
>         Software Developer
>         PackNet Ltd
>
>         Office:   0161 660 3062
>

> What company is that?  I have seen companies that do this but have
> never felt very secure handing the keys to the castle over to a 3rd
> party service.
>
> It seems like a good idea, but I have trust issues, especially when
> you top off your prepaid service with $15k a week.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve T
It's our hardware supplier, the provisioning server is a free service if
you purchase the hardware from them.

I totally understand your point but there's always got to be some trust
at some point whether it be in your suppliers or even your employees or
co workers

They are a UK based company called Provu, I'm pretty sure they are
active on this list too

--
Ishfaq Malik
Software Developer