[asterisk-users] SIP Blacklisting

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at sunfone.com
Thu Oct 21 11:32:23 CDT 2010

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, Steve Howes wrote:

> On 21 Oct 2010, at 16:54, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:
>> I'll subscribe, that is for sure.  What is the best way to dist the
>> blacklist?  iptables include file?  Or something more integrated to
>> asterisk... just thinking off the top of my head that a module that vetted
>> inbound connections against an external list would be a very cool thing.
>
> I was thinking some sort of script to pull via HTTP to update whatever
> you wanted (output as iptables etc). I know its not an instant 'lookup',
> but an hour delay between updates is nothing. Also means whoever is
> running the server isn't getting hammered by everyone ;) Realtime
> lookups from Asterisk would be quite a load (and would introduce
> latency).

> --

I agree in principle - some cron job pulling the list by http would
certainly be simple.  But just to continue my thoughts to the brick wall,
I don't see a lookup adding "latency" to the call other than what should
be a very brief addition to the time taken for a call to be accepted.
Once accepted you would just continue to accept the packets.  How about
something DNS based?  Load could potentially be distributed that way if a
number of people agreed to participate.  I'll mull this over a bit more.