[asterisk-users] dialing from asterisk console?

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Thu Oct 21 08:17:38 CDT 2010

  _____

From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Danny Dias
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:42 AM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: [asterisk-users] dialing from asterisk console?

Hello friends,

I'm trying to make a simple call from asterisk CLI, but is quite confuse

i followed the information here:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+CLI+dial

and changed my extensions.conf like this:

alsa.conf

[general]
autoanswer=no
context=consolecontext
extension=100

By the way, how do i know if my console is using the channel driver ALSA or
OSS?

then, in extensions.conf:

[consolecontext]
exten => 100,1,Dial($DEMO)

And then, from the Asterisk CLI: many attempts:

CLI> dial

No such extension 's' in context 'default'

CLI> dial 100

No such extension '100' in context 'default'

What am i doing wrong?

Dial from CLI works differently from regular Dial in the Dialplan.  From
what I can see, you are limited (1.4.30) to dialing extensions defined in
the [default] context .  Do "dialplan show default" and you'll see what you
can dial.