[asterisk-users] Same extension registering over eth0 and eth1

Daniel Tryba daniel at tryba.nl
Mon Oct 18 16:17:56 CDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 04:38:28PM -0400, Paul Belanger wrote:
> > Is there a way/software which can act as a middle man between asterisk and
> > the ethernet ports, and by default sends registrations to asterisk only from
> > eth0, and if this port fails, sends registration coming in from eth1?
> >
> DNS SRV or a SIP proxy.

DNS SRV will not work since there is only 1 IP in this hot failover
network. A sip proxy introduces a single point of failure in the redundant network,
why not keep asterisk the single point of failure?

IMHO this kind of hot failover setup don't work with UDP traffic, it's
stateless. There where a duplicate TCP packet will be ignored, UDP will
be processed twice. While I didn't have this problem with SIP/RTP in a
hot failover network as described, we changed a hot setup to cold standby
because of troubles with UDP traffic (can't remember the specifics).

--

   Daniel Tryba