[asterisk-users] Kernel panic (asterisk 1.8.0-rc3, dahdi-linux-2.4)

Karsten Wemheuer kwem at gmx.de
Sat Oct 16 12:47:16 CDT 2010

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 15.10.2010, 14:34 -0500 schrieb Shaun Ruffell:
> On 10/15/2010 04:00 AM, Karsten Wemheuer wrote:
>
> > I setup an asterisk system (asterisk 1.8-rc3, dahdi-linux-2.4.0 with
> > dahdi-extra from Tzafrirs git, kernel 2.6.35.4). The hardware is an
> > older pc system with Celeron CPU (2.5 GHz) with a Beronet BN4S0 ISDN
> > card. The system starts without any errors.
> >
> > I discovered a severe issue. The kernel panics on a very small load. The
> > first call normally gets through. If I start the second or third call
> > and sometimes when I terminate the first call, the system panics (Oops
> > text on console).
> >
> > After solving some difficulties (the relevant part of the Oops text
> > scrolls out of the monitor, no serial interface), I get the text via
> > netconsole. It seems to me, that the panic occurred in oslec (function
> > "oslec_update"). But maybe I am wrong with this. In the oslec code there
> > is a patch to enable MMX. After switching this off, the problem
> > disappeared. AFAIK the cpu supports mmx.
> >
> > Where should I address this issue to? Is it a known issue?
> >

> Do you have CONFIG_DAHDI_MMX defined in include/dahdi/dahdi_config.h?

No, I don't think so. (This is from memory, I currently have no access
to the test system). But there was a patch (I think from debian
packages, original from bug tracker (dahdi_mmx_auto.diff from
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=13500)) which enables mmx at least
for the echo canceler oslec (I think). Disabling this patch let the
kernel panic disappear.

Maybe Alex suggestion points in an interesting direction. The kernel is
indeed compiled with CONFIG_PREEMPT=y.

If I have enough time, I'll try compiling the kernel with another
preemption model ("voluntary" or "no") and patch applied.

Thanks,

Karsten