[asterisk-users] drop dead fix

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Fri Oct 15 15:08:44 CDT 2010

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010, Danny Nicholas wrote:

> This appears to be the resolution to my problem -
>
> #1. Get my "recording talent" in an isolated environment so I can get
> "clean, loud" recordings
>
> #2. Dump the Audacity and Audiologic steps and just use SOX with the
> highpass and lowpass filters.

1) firstmenu.wav.wav is recorded so low, it just looks like line noise in
Audacity. Unless you can re-record at a reasonable level, you're always
going to be fighting this "sow's ear."

2) I use "normalize" (http://normalize.nongnu.org/) to normalize from the
command line, but it does not deal with DC offset like Audacity will.
Eliminating your DC offset issue should also be a goal of improving your
recording environment. Newer (than provided with CentOS 5.5) versions of
sox can do "dcshift."

3) Stick with ULAW or PCM (wav). You only have to be concerned with
supplying audio encoded appropriately for the first hop in your delivery
path.

--
Thanks in advance,