[asterisk-users] drop dead fix

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Fri Oct 15 09:16:53 CDT 2010

  _____

From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of jon pounder
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2010 9:10 AM
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] drop dead fix

On 10/15/2010 09:59 AM, Danny Nicholas wrote:

Hello list,

              I am about to have to dump Asterisk in favor of some other
VOIP/PBX solution;  the reason?  I have 304 voice prompts recorded as 22Khz
wav format files that sound like crumpling paper whenever I convert them to
the 8Khz wav/gsm format required by Asterisk.  I was considering trying the
G.729 codec, but reading through the specs, I see that the 8Khz conversion
is going to dump me into the same pile of dung.  Any body have any
suggestions?

Thanks

Danny Nicholas

hiring someone to re-record 304 prompts is not simpler and far faster than
redeploying an entire system ?
sounds like about a 4hr job.

or find a better converter.

Option 2 is what I have in mind (BTW, with the "talent" I have, your 4 hrs
is closer to 80, after normalizing, trimming and "prodding").

What I do now is record the file using soundrec, normalize it with
Audiograbber, then trim it with Audacity before converting it with Sox.
Which of these is letting me down, (or it is "the loose nut on the
keyboard")?