[asterisk-users] DISA does not accept "pause" from cellphones when upgrading from 1.4 to 1.6

Alejandro Recarey alexrecarey at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 14:17:26 CDT 2010

I just upgraded my asterisk box from 1.4 + Zaptel to 1.6 + DAHDI and
services I was using perfectly before are suddenly broken.

I have a DISA access configured, and my companies employees use if to
dial into the companies extension from their cell phones.

For example they would dial DISA-ACCESS-NUMBER(pause)EXTENSION.

Most cellphones (Nokia, Blackberry, iPhone) have some way to save a
pause in the dialed string. Nokia does it by saving the letter "p",
blackberry has the option to insert a pause (shows up in the address
book as "pause"), and the iPhone uses a space and a comma (like
DISA-ACCESS-NUMBER, EXTENSION).

The pause function on these phones worked perfectly with Asterisk 1.4
+ Zaptel. After the upgrade to Asterisk 1.6 + DAHDI, the pause
function no longer works. If you MANUALY dial into the access number,
wait for the dial tone, and then dial the extension, DISA works
perfectly. But if you have the whole DISA access number saved with a
pause and an extension and dial, asterisk will not recognize the
second number. Basically the DISA dial tone will continue to sound, as
if it has not received the extension number.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Any tip would be welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Alejandro