[asterisk-users] TCP port, VPN and resolving the cutting voice problem

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at sunfone.com
Tue Nov 30 12:51:19 CST 2010

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, Steve Jones wrote:

> Just the contrary - Most QoS schemes will drop TCP first, specifically because it is known that with TCP, the
> packet will be resent, so no application will be hurt.  UDP is not dropped first because it is known that there
> will likely be more impact.
>
> I am not aware of any way to run IAX over TCP, and I agree it would be a bad idea.  The proper thing to do is to
> implement PROPER QoS on BOTH SIDES of the link, which I hope is point to point.  If it goes over the Internet,
> your QoS is lost as soon as it hits a router you dont control (or pay for QoS services on)
>
> I think in IAX, the jitter buffer size can be adjusted, but I dont know the detail on this..  A jitter buffer can
> be looked upon as like a funnel - as packets arrive, they are dumped in the funnel, which is then pouring your
> audio out the bottom in a smooth stream, no matter how much delay there is in the filling of the funnel.   When
> the funnel runs out of packets (ie: delay has caused you to run out of data) then you get a break in your audio
> stream.  Increasing the jitter buffer (bigger funnel) can fix this, but at a certain point, the audio will be SO
> DELAYED (because the packets are waiting in the buffer) that the users will notice and get confused.

Just want to point out that a jitterbuffer will do NO GOOD if packet loss
is occurring.  Proper QoS on both ends is ideal of course, but I have seen
some pretty clever ideas employed on the CPE side of link to effectively
provide QoS in both directions, when you have no control over your ISPs
routers.  For example - you can effectively control the inbound flow of a
TCP based application by delaying the ACKs sent back to the content
provider.  Doesn't help you with UDP streams though, unfortunately.