[asterisk-users] Trouble with TE122 on HP DL120G6 - can't disable USB

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 11:11:27 CST 2010

I have recently built a single-T1 Asterisk box using an HP DL120G6
with a Digium TE122 card.

I was finding that I was getting missed interrupts on the TE122,
causing the driver to report that it was increasing latency. It kept
doing this until the T1 did not work reliably.

I tried my usual procedure of disabling the USB subsystem in the BIOS
(or so I thought), but I found that the USB drivers still got loaded
and the missed interrupts still occurred.

So I added "nousb" as a kernel boot option, which successfully prevented
the USB drivers being loaded, and got rid of the missed interrupts.

Unfortunately, this also stopped the PS/2 keyboard port working. It turns
out that the PS/2 ports on the DL120G6 are not REAL PS/2 ports on an 8042
controller, but just PS/2 to USB converters going to the motherboard's
USB subsystem. And turning off USB in the BIOS merely disconnects the
system's external USB ports. That seriously sucks, IMHO!

So, does anyone know how to get this system working reliably, so that
the USB drivers do not cause the TE122 driver to miss interrupts?

Using Zaptel 1.4.12.1, with Asterisk 1.2.

Please don't tell me "try DAHDI" unless you KNOW that this issue has been
fixed in DAHDI. Because my application is based on Asterisk 1.2, DAHDI
would be majorly painful to try, and will only be a very last resort.

However, if it has been fixed in DAHDI, and someone can point me at the
specific fix, I'd be happy to try back-porting it.

Thanks in advance,
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield