[asterisk-users] Asterisk on smartphone?

Mon Nov 29 04:26:35 CST 2010

Do you mean, using the smart phone as an Asterisk server, or as a device (i.e., an extension)?

I think running Asterisk in server mode would run up against blocking of SIP traffic on most voice networks. Also, you would probably run into issues with battery life, and with availability (what if you are flying and have to turn off your smart phone - suddenly the phone number wouldn't go to the IVR or voice mail any more). I would also be concerned about constantly changing IP addresses, firewalling within the carrier network, ...

As an extension, I believe there are some softphone implementations available for Android (they might still run up against blocked SIP traffic, though).

Alternatively, you can probably also use "follow me" or plain old forwarding to get calls to the cell phone, and DNDI for dialing outgoing calls.