[asterisk-users] New implementation asterisk

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Fri Nov 26 14:23:04 CST 2010

You have provided no details to base suggestions on, so take any
suggestions with a grain of 'salt.'

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010, Edwin Blommaerts wrote:

> -The people that setup our server made asterisk write the sound files
> onto the hard drive, and then somewhat later store these files into
> my-sql. Is this the proper way to do it? Or would it make more sense to
> just have my-sql store the path to the file? Or is it possible to store
> the data directly into my-sql from asterisk? So in general what is the
> best way to make this happen? Has anyone implemented something similar?

This sounds a bit suspect. What sound files are you talking about?
Voicemail? Prompts? Responses? Dictation?

> Our current server now shows segmentation errors at boot and they claim
> that this is due to queries on the database.

That explanation sounds bogus. Where are you seeing segmentation errors?
What processes are faulting? Do you see the same thing if you restart
Asterisk or MySQL?

In a production environment, 'seg-faulting' is unacceptable and needs to
be resolved.

> I’ve also checked the query it returns the data to us in less then 3
> seconds, so I’m doubting this can be the trouble.

In some environments, 3 seconds might as well be never. I'd aim for
sub-second response for anything that affects call processing.

> -Sometimes the phone lines hang waiting, people can’t call out because
> asterisk seems to be holding on to these lines for a certain amount of
> time. What could be the cause of this?

Does this happen with every call?

What does the console log (with debug and verbose cranked up) look like
when this happens?

> -What is the best hardware architecture for asterisk implementation?
> My-sql and asterisk on separate servers, or doesn’t it really matter?

With no details, this comes down to personal preference.

For 'big systems,' I like to 'front-end' a pool of Asterisk servers with a
couple of boxes running OpenSIPS and I like to run databases on boxes by
themselves.

OpenSIPS lets you load balance and take boxes out of production easily.

I think of database servers and 'telephony servers' as having different
characteristics and needs.

> I really hope to get some advice, because, I’ve began to doubt/question
> the people who set the server up. I’m happy with any information, good
> references that you can give me.

If you would like more concrete suggestions, please reply with more
details.

Basic details like:

) What does the system do?

) What version of Asterisk?

) What channel technologies are used?

) Average simultaneous calls?

) Peak simultaneous calls?

may shed light on an appropriate solution.

--
Thanks in advance,