[asterisk-users] astcanary ?

Tilghman Lesher tlesher at digium.com
Wed Nov 24 11:14:59 CST 2010

On Wednesday 24 November 2010 03:41:33 Jonas Kellens wrote:
> On 11/24/2010 10:28 AM, --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:
> >     I notice that the following proces is running :
> >
> >     astcanary /var/run/asterisk/alt.asterisk.canary.tweet.tweet.tweet
> >     1527
> >
> >     What is this ??
> >
> > You are running Asterisk with priority set. Check
> > /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf for the line highpriority = yes ; Run
> > realtime priority (same as -p at startup)
>
> And what happens when I choose to run Asterisk without priority ? What
> does this priority do ?!

I've never been able to determine WHY anybody actually needs it.  However,
running Asterisk as a high priority process should, in theory, mean that
other processes on the system will never cause Asterisk to service a
channel too slowly.  In practice, however, most people ensure that any
other process that might consume that much CPU is offloaded to another
machine.

There is an inherent danger in running any process as a higher priority
than other processes, however:  if it should start eating CPU, it will
effectively starve out all other processes.  This is what the astcanary
was meant to prevent.  You can read more information about this in the
file /var/run/asterisk/alt.asterisk.canary.tweet.tweet.tweet.

--
Tilghman Lesher