[asterisk-users] Call recording format

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 09:03:42 CST 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Vilius Adamkavicius
<vilius.adamkavicius at invade.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
> We have a requirement to record over 60 simultaneous calls. Our recording
> facilities are implemented using Monitor() over AMI. The thing we have
> noticed that making 60 simultaneous call recordings using wav CPU load is
> significantly higher (around 2 times more) than using gsm. Even writing call
> recordings to /dev/null makes a big difference in CPU load.

Ignoring your real questions, and asking an alternate question:

Why not just record in gsm?

If your answer is that you have to play these back on Windows, you can
build an on-the-fly gsm-to-wav converter using sox.

My understanding is that recording in wav doesn't exactly make you
have higher audio quality in your recordings, although the experts at
codecs could better answer that.