[asterisk-users] Call recording format

Vilius Adamkavicius vilius.adamkavicius at invade.net
Mon Nov 22 08:58:06 CST 2010

Hi Joel,

We have a meetme on which we are landing two G.711 alaw calls, one coming
from TDM another from SIP. Once we those parties are in the conference we
are adding one more leg using Local channel and starting to record it.

Surely it would be logical if it would be less overhead recording alaw wav
since we are using alaw on both parties, but its not.

Thanks,
Vilius.

On 22 November 2010 14:19, Joel Maslak <jmaslak at antelope.net> wrote:

> What format are the actual calls in?  Are they in G.711u/a format or
> are they in something else (perhaps gsm?) format?  I'm asking to find
> out if Asterisk would need to transcode them.
>
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 6:47 AM, Vilius Adamkavicius
> <vilius.adamkavicius at invade.net> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > We have a requirement to record over 60 simultaneous calls. Our recording
> > facilities are implemented using Monitor() over AMI. The thing we have
> > noticed that making 60 simultaneous call recordings using wav CPU load is
> > significantly higher (around 2 times more) than using gsm. Even writing
> call
> > recordings to /dev/null makes a big difference in CPU load.
> > What could be the reason for this? Is Asterisk updating wav headers every
> > time it writes?
> > What would be recommended hardware setup for over 60 simultaneous call
> > records?
> > Regards,
> > Vilius.
> >

> > --
> >

> --

Vilius Adamkavicius
InVADE Technical Support

3 Berkeley Crescent, Bristol United Kingdom BS8 1HA

Company Registration Number: 3660482
Registered in England and Wales
this email, and any attachment, is intended only for the attention of the
addressee. Its unauthorised use, disclosure, storage or copying is not
permitted. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all copies
and inform the sender by return email. If you have received this email in
error, please return it to the sender and highlight the error. We accept no
legal liability for the content of the message. Any opinions or views
presented are solely the responsibility of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of InVADE. We cannot guarantee that this message has not
been modified in transit, and this message should not be viewed as
contractually binding. Although we have taken reasonable steps to ensure
that this email and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in
keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are
actually virus free.

international  phone number +44(0) 117 33 555 00