[asterisk-users] Door Contacts via Asterisk?

Joe Freeman joe at ngn-networks.com
Mon Nov 15 13:45:19 CST 2010

I've done a remote door unlock system in the past. The customer had an
existing magnetic lock system that utilized push buttons on the wall to
release the magnetic locks on the doors. They already had this system,
and the associated door controller.

I used an APC AP9210 Master Switch network power controller to solve the
problem. I plugged the power brick for the door controller into the
AP9210, put the AP9210 on the network, and wrote a script that caused
the device to cut power to the door controller for 5 seconds by setting
an SNMP variable.

I coupled that shells script with some dialplan logic that asked the
caller for a pin, then using the callerid(num) value as a username,
checked the username/pin combo against a database.. If the combination
passed, the shell script was called. If it didn't, I looped back to the
request for the pin, for up to 2 more times, then disconnected the call.

I know Cyberdata has some SIP based door intercoms that have lock relays
built in, as well. I have no idea what the cost for them is, though.