[asterisk-users] Any good guides for installing Asterisk on Embedded systems like Alix boards?

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Sun Nov 7 15:39:27 CST 2010

There is a network of telephone switch collectors, worldwide that uses
Asterisk to interface the network with their switches, as well as
members who have an interest in these old switches but don't yet have
one working.
I have personally set up about 20 nodes with AstLinux on HP thin
clients, 55xx and 57xx, mainly in the US. At least one has a single port
T1card, the TE110, others use SIP phones and SIP ATA's, others use Cisco
3810's with a SIP IOS. Several are running on old 55XX versions with
only 128 Meg of Ram They all simply work. One I monitor closely has been
up around 180 days now. Configure modules.conf to noload stuff you don't
need
AstLinux has a nice web interface for ease of configuration.
The older HP thin clients USED to be available on eBay at bargain
prices, though lately the MagicJack crowd seems to have run up the price
a bit
As long as you don't want to do any thing fancy, AstLinux will do nicely

John Novack

Bruce B wrote:
> John,
> AstLinux seems promising. Have you used this flavor in
> production environment?
>
> Paul,
> So, don't use the Yum repositoy?!
>
> And, are you sure that is the only thing needs to be done. I am
> thinking there is more tweaking need to be done. I am not looking to
> just install Asterisk but it should be production ready as well.
> Meaning solid, reliable machine.
>
> Thanks
>
> On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Paul Belanger
> <paul.belanger at polybeacon.com <mailto:paul.belanger at polybeacon.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Bruce B <bruceb444 at gmail.com
>     <mailto:bruceb444 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > Knowing that running Asterisk on an embedded board like the
>     Alix2d3 requires
>     > some fine tuning. Do you know of any good guides out there that
>     does this
>     > from beginning to end? Looking to run this in a small office
>     environment.
>     >
>     Only compile the modules you need.
>
>     --