[asterisk-users] Asterisk in the third world - Astricon 2010 keynote follow-up

info at meetmecall.nl info at meetmecall.nl
Sun Nov 7 14:03:51 CST 2010

I have done an OpenBTS research and try project. OpenBTS is an open
source and open hardware based private GSM network solution that uses
Asterisk as one of the lego blocks.  (see http://openbts.sourceforge.net/
  ) This really is a great solution when communication has to be set
up in case of a disaster or an emergency in an area where nothing is
working anymore.   With a small investment (solar system, battery
pack, OpenBTS/Asterisk server, USRP hardware, Nokia 3320 phones/Sonim
phones)  you can have an easy to set up ready to go solution available
in short time that can save lifes.  The OpenBTS community is a small
group of GSM experts for whom Asterisk is just one of the Lego blocks.
If we reach out to them to help them out with the Asterisk issues the
OpenBTS/Asterisk based solution will do great as a tool to safe lifes.

btw: An Asterisk foundation as the legal vehicle for third world
efforts isn't such a bad idea.

/Erik