[asterisk-users] Big practical systems

Cary Fitch caryf at usawide.net
Sun Nov 7 13:37:58 CST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com [mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Andrew Latham
Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2010 12:41 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Big practical systems

inline

> I don't want to start the "How many calls can Asterisk handle?" discussion
> or "How many angels can stand on the point of a pin?" discussion either.

You just did

Nah.

> But can anyone contribute some practical knowledge of systems that take in
> channel bank T1s or DS3s from "far away", and process the calls?

Most of us are far too busy.  These things are best learned the hardway.
============
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.  My Lucent 5010 Compact Switch with DS3 connections to 8 LATAs keeps me moderately busy but I still have time for Asterisk.  I have learned everything the hard way.

> I am looking for real world, been there, done that, or "check the 'Belchfire
> Systems GigaFiber 65536' system".

Its called Asterisk.
===========
Thank you, and so you've been there and done that but don't want to help, just be cute?

> Not to start the discussion, but "Is there a board that will take a DS3 (672
> channels) and a system that will handle the calls, or is that a silly
> question?"

There are many.  The primary problem it getting a provider to provide
you with a DS3.

=========
Obviously I don't have that problem, and didn't ask for help with that.

> Is there an IP box that would take the DS3 and then a system that would
> handle the calls? My guess would be yes because the actual call load would
> be far lower than 672 calls.  Maybe 100-150 or so simultaneous.

There are a few solutions here and several expensive chunks of
hardware. Do you want to put all your eggs in one basket?

No, There are many eggs and can be many baskets.

> Each line/call would have to have absolute caller ID.  In other words, PSTN
> call handling.

That is between you and the provider.  The technology exists on the wire.

Good, that is why I as asking for pointers.

> Cary

Gringo Malvado...