[asterisk-users] Why are the hackers scanning for these?

Cary Fitch caryf at usawide.net
Sun Nov 7 09:45:04 CST 2010

I've just switched my outbound ip address a week ago. Not static, but
dhcp on TimeWarner cable.  I've registered only with another of our
offices. The outbound calls are all pstn bound through Teliax.

But somehow my log is filling up with registration requests over this
new ip address from a bunch of addresses. How can these guys find my
new ip address? Or are they just scanning all ip addresses in
creation?

sean

"Follow the money"

Just like for Spam, there is money in Sip-Hacking.

Anyone that has SIP traffic to move (selling the service) has money.  If
they can move it for free, even more money.  A few servers running Hacking
programs (SIPVicious) or e-mail server hacking programs is no big deal and
bandwidth at colo centers is unlimited.

Then they convert to BOT controllers and have free computers and bandwidth
world wide.

They generate a database of public IP addresses (DHCP, whatever) and have a
target of poorly protected IPs to troll.

"Lucky you". ;-)

Cary