[asterisk-users] Elementary question - accessing feature codes fromcell phone

Zeeshan Zakaria zishanov at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 10:36:49 CDT 2010

DTMF sent from cell phones are usually not well recognized at the asterisk
end. The main reason for this is that cell phones transmit out-of-band DTMF,
which by the time reaches an asterisk server traveling through cell towers,
their equipment, various VoIP carriers etc. is usually drifted away from its
acceptable frequency threshhold. Or if a carrier is converting it into
inband, it might not be right at this carrier's end, meaningful it'll have
no tone at all.

Receiving out-of-band DTMF over physical lines like T1s is usually much more
reliable than SIP, because the expensive equipment at big telcos is better
at fixing up bad tones and send you the correct tones.

Zeeshan A Zakaria

--
www.ilovetovoip.com
www.pbxforall.com