[asterisk-users] Multiple extensions - same context

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Thu Nov 4 11:16:36 CDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Silver Thorne
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 11:07 AM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: [asterisk-users] Multiple extensions - same context

Hey Everyone;

I inherited an Asterisk box where the dialplan is a real mess. ( I would
actually be embarrassed to post some of the stuff!)

So, here is what I need to do - and again, I am looking for fishing nets
and places to cast them - if I don't figure it out, I will never
freakin' learn!

I have several users configured (101, 102, 105, 155, 211, etc). They are
all in different contexts. I don't want to mess up what is already
there, I just want to make sure that they are all able to dial each
other. I would assume that they would all have to be in the same contexts.

So, on that note, where would I look about information on putting all of
my users in a common context without messing up what I already have.

Do you follow? I hope so!

Glen

Since you "inherited" the box, I'll assume that it is probably a 1.2 or 1.4
box.  It doesn't really matter what context the user is in.  You dial them
using a "Technology Address" (I.E. SIP/101) as opposed to 101 at mybox.  "sip
show peers" from the CLI should show you all of your endpoints that can be
dialed.  Again assuming they are all 3 digits, there is probably a line like
this in your default context that lets you dial anybody:
Exten => _XXX,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN},blah)
Or
Exten => _NXX,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN},blah)
Line 1 lets you dial 000-999 and connect, line 2 limits it to 200-999.

Don't be afraid to post a bad/messy dialplan;  that's how we learn and
somebody might get a chuckle out of it.