[asterisk-users] ADSL Load Balancing

Sean Elble selble at higherone.com
Thu Nov 4 09:53:02 CDT 2010

You can do policy routing on Linux systems too, using iptables' mark functionality, combined with iproute2.  Mark packets patching whatever parameters you wish (i.e.,  in the mangle table in the prerouting chain, match packets on UDP port 5060), and then use ip rule/ip route to route as you desire.  See here for more detailed instructions/examples:

http://linux-ip.net/html/adv-multi-internet.html

Whether this will work well (or at all) for your specific case is questionable at best.  I can't imagine load balancing SIP traffic across two ADSL lines would work well, if at all, but I've never tried it either.  Doing a primary/failover setup would work a lot better, I'd think.

Oh, and my apologies for top-quoting.  Outlook and all...