[asterisk-users] Migration from 1.2 to 1.8 in production

Miguel Molina mmolina at millenium.com.co
Wed Nov 3 12:05:56 CDT 2010

El 03/11/10 10:44, Bryant Zimmerman escribió:
> I have used 1.4 & 1.6. I am testing 1.8 for production and it is
> looking very good. I am making some changes to accommodate some minor
> dialplan changes from 1.6. Our 1.4 is very solid 1.6 has some issues
> with DTMF issues when used with Sonus on the back end. 1.8 is looking
> very good and we hope to go production before the end of the year.
>
> If you have to change righ now are you using custom dialplan code? If
> you are I would roll the dice and go for 1.8 this will give you the
> longest life span. If not there is no real big hit for stepping from
> 1.4 to 1.8. The other issue is if you want really detailed logging for
> call records the CEL method in 1.8 is the way to go. You will need to
> be able to boil the data down but it is there. I have seen a few kinks
> in the current version but it looks like they will be worked out with
> some incremental updates.
>
> Our hope is to be fully 1.8 on all of our backbone production units by
> the end of Jan 2011 with our first unit by December 2010.
> I would shy away of 1.6.x based on our experience. Our 1.6.x boxes
> will move before our 1.4.x boxes.
>

> Thanks
> Bryant
Hi Bryant,

Thanks for sharing your experience, it encourages us to try and test 1.8
throughly before we upgrade our 1.4 boxes, jumping the 1.6 step in the
upgrade path. We are also concerned about the short support time that is
left for 1.4 and 1.6, so 1.8 would be the best in support terms. This
goes in concordance for what I think the asterisk team wants, that is,
to focus on only one well supported version instead of having to support
several parallel branches which mean more work and "cross-fixing"
between them.

Cheers,

--
Ing. Miguel Molina