[asterisk-users] Asterisk, VoIP and Samsung iDCS100

Ronny Adsetts ronny.adsetts at amazinginternet.com
Wed Nov 3 09:26:24 CDT 2010

Philipp von Klitzing said at 03/11/2010 14:10:
> Hi!

Hi :-).

>>> 2. Add BRI card(s) to the computer to run Asterisk and somehow hook
>>> up the Samsung.
>>
>> Do-able. Connect Asterisk to your ISDN2, then host the Samsung off the
>> asterisk box. But then, might as well dump the Samsung and just put
>> VoIP phones on everyones desks.
>
> If you decide to go down this route: You would need a 4-port ISDN card
> (since 2-port ISDN cards are hard to come by) in order to allow for
> direct bridging of ISDN-ISDN calls IF you want to operate an anlog fax on
> the Samsung. "direct" here means that the call will not travel through
> the Asterisk core.

I think I'm going to skip this route for now - see my other emails.

> Side note: Stay away from solutions that use mISDN, instead go with
> Zaptel (DAHDI), Woomera or CAPI.
>
> Another way to go is to use an external ISDN gateway (Patton, for
> example), which will spare you from a lot of kernel & driver update
> headaches in the following years.

This is good advice anyway for when I build our Asterisk box in the coming months. We'll inevitably stick with ISDN lines for external calls.

> If you are planning on moving an anlog to an Asterisk-only solution on
> medium term, then consider to a) keep the Samsung for fax operation, or
> b) look at an ISDN card that has an option to sync an anlogue telephony
> card of the same vendor to the clock of the ISDN card (typically using a
> special but simple card-to-card cable).

We currently have our fax line as a DID number on the ISDN/2 which the Samsung routes to an analogue extension which is then answered using Hylafax on a linux box.

When we move to a full Asterisk solution I'll potentially just have Asterisk route the fax call via DID number to an FXO/FXS analogue line and have Hylafax deal with it as now.

Ronny
--
Ronny Adsetts
Technical Director

Registered office: UK House, 82 Heath Road, Twickenham TW1 4BW
Registered in England. Company No. 4042957