[asterisk-users] Call Timeout on 302 Redirect

Jay Vocaire jvocaire at innproc.com
Thu May 27 08:34:35 CDT 2010

Currently running Asterisk 1.6.2.6 with Polycom 550 phones with the latest SIP firmware.  We use the forward functionality on the phones (primarily forward on no answer), and it works very well with one caveat: call timeout.

When the phone redirects (usually after 2 rings), asterisk still rolls the call to voicemail after whatever is the set timeout.  So, if I have it set to something like 20 seconds, there isn't enough time for the second phone (usually a mobile phone) to ring, and if I set it longer then the users who don't use call forwarding complain that it takes too long for their voicemail to pickup.

I have been searching around for information/fixes for this problem, but I am either not using the right terms, or there just isn't anything out there.  I did stumble across this:

https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=17340

which makes me think that the functionality simply doesn't exist in asterisk to have it both ways.  What I mean by that is that I would like something around a 20 second timeout, but if they forward (when asterisk gets the 302 message back), I would like that timeout to reset and give another 20 seconds.

Is this possibly, is there another way people are handling this, am I just chasing something not possible?

Thanks.

-Jay