[asterisk-users] "ring splash"

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Wed May 26 11:36:12 CDT 2010

Something new to me.  Recently installed a 1.4.30 box for a small office
with four POTS lines in a hunt (Digium TDM410P).  Had the telco put a
"call forward" option on the main line of the hunt.  They dial a feature
code from their desk phones (Polycom IP450) that results in forwarding the
main number to our VoIP service.  This is all to let them "try out" our
dialtone service before porting the number to us and ditching the POTS
lines.

So we perform some test calls and they all go through fine, and everyone
is happy, BUT everytime a call comes through it ALSO causes the POTS line
to ring, and a "ghost" call rings all the phones in the office (the
desired result of an inbound call from POTS).  When they answer it they
get fast busy because it isn't actually a real call.

I spoke to the telco this morning about it and they said "oh yeah - that
is a "ring splash" that lets the customer know that a call was forwarded".
They said this was a feature of their DMS-100, it has worked that way for
twenty years, and they can't turn it off.

So to the question - can the TDM410P somehow tell the difference between a
"ring splash" and an actual inbound call?  I think in the meantime I will
send inbound POTS calls to an auto attendant that will eventually hang up,
but would love a more elegant solution ;)

Cheers,