[asterisk-users] Which issue is keeping you from updrading to1.6.2 ?

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Fri May 21 04:28:15 CDT 2010

On 05/21/10 09:07, Leif Madsen wrote:
> Danny Nicholas wrote:
>
>> If I'm going to bother with 1.6.2, I'll wait a few months for 1.8.  But in
>> the spirit of your question:
>> (1) dialplan conversion
>> (2) loss of functions like Gosub
>>
> Can you be more specific about what 1) and 2) mean?

Number 1 is the same thing that people have been griping about for a
very *very* long time with Asterisk.  When you upgrade from one version
to another, commands change, get deprecated and removed without suitable
replacements, meaning that you have to go through your dialplan with a
fine toothcomb finding every little change.

Number 2 was referred to in number 1.  For whatever reason, Digium
choose to keep removing useful commands and features *without* supplying
an equivalent alternative.  When asked, the answer is "you can do it in
dialplan".  What its not addressed is that the dialplan required to
replace the functionality of one command can run into tens of lines of code.